Thursday, July 8, 2010

Offered a Contract

I was recently offered a contract to publish NICE GIRLS DON'T BITE---and turned it down. After all the querying and fussing, it seems like an insane thing to do, doesn't it?

From time to time one can find advice on the Internet insisting that no agent is better than a poor agent. I guess now I'm here to tell you that I think no publishing contract is better than a poor publishing contract.

There were so many aspects of this contract that hit me negatively, and I don't want to be boring with all the details. Generally speaking, the publishing company wanted to buy the copyright outright, the book would not be offered in any retail outlets, the novel would have to be trimmed by 15,000 words to fit the publisher's eBook format, and eBook copies would be offered only from my and the publisher's web site.

Actually, I'm about ready to tuck Nice Girls away for a few years. So may of my queries have yielded requests for more pages, and then nothing, that it's about time to wake up and smell the coffee. The book isn't good enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment